The Briggs & Stratton 20505 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3400 PSI and flow of 2.8 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 20505
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton 20505 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer that allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces and out-of-reach areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Its axial cam pump, which utilizes an impressive 250 cc engine, may deliver a pressure of up to 3400 PSI (almost 57 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.8 GPM. These values correspond to a cleaning power of 9520 Cleaning Units.
The Briggs & Stratton 1150 Series™ engine of this gas-powered pressure washer gets started by a classic pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.75 gallon.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Briggs & Stratton 20505 grants mobility and stability to the unit. The robust and sturdy steel tubing frame offers longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 20505 convenience of transport.
The majority of users will be able to maneuver this unit easily, it only weighs 68 lbs. Its 250 cc Briggs & Stratton 1150 Series™ engine and steel tubing frame all add up to a substantial part of that weight. The 20505 can still be easily manipulated and maneuvered, thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels.
The Briggs & Stratton 20505's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. When a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent will be added automatically to the water.
- Pressure hose: The 30 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose, which is included with the device, can be stored neatly on the unit itself when idle, using a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 nozzles included with the device, and the respective surfaces which they’re the most suitable for, are shown in the following table.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the Briggs & Stratton 20505's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: The Briggs & Stratton 20505 comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get pressure hose, spray gun, wand, oil and soap hose.
- Emissions: The Briggs & Stratton 20505 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this pressure washer is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Briggs & Stratton 20505's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 20505 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Briggs & Stratton 20505, reaching a PSI of up to 3400, is one of the more powerful gas-powered units in $400-500 price range. In case you are looking for a device with the highest possible power of its water stream, one of the top achievers in this price range is the DeWalt DXPW3625 with a PSI of 3600.
- With a water flow of up to 2.8 GPM (gallons per minute), this washer belongs to the upper end of the above-mentioned price range, as it can deliver a high volume of water. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the Lifan LFQ3370E, with 3 GPM.
- Reaching up to 9520 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), the 20505 is one of the more efficient amongst its similarly priced peers. If you consider the highest overall cleaning power as a really important factor, the Lifan LFQ3370E and its 9900 Cleaning Units has one of the highest cleaning efficiency of all the similarly priced units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 9300 and 10200 Cleaning Units, the Briggs & Stratton 20505 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||250 cc Briggs & Stratton 1150 Series™ 4-stroke OHV|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||30 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 32 x 22 x 31 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Oil, wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908 with an informal agreement between inventor Stephen F. Briggs and investor Harold F. Stratton, this company has become one of the most recognized names in the small engine manufacturing world. Headquartered in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA, the company has manufacturing facilities in five continents. Beginning in the early 2000's, Briggs & Stratton began to acquire other companies such as Generac Portable Power Systems and Simplicity, thereby expanding into the ownership of manufacturing not just engines, but portable outdoor power equipment such as generators, pressure washers, and other home products.
The Briggs & Stratton 20505 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton pressure washers, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-743-4115.