The Briggs & Stratton 20647 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3600 PSI and flow of 2.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 20647
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton 20647 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces and out-of-reach areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Using a powerful 205 cc engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of up to 3600 PSI (roughly 60 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Together, the values result in a cleaning power of 9000 Cleaning Units.
The Vanguard™ engine of this gas-powered pressure washer relies on an old-school pull-start mechanism to get started.
The fuel is stored in a tank, which can hold up to 0.83 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
Thanks to its hand truck design, the Briggs & Stratton 20647 offers great mobility. The robust and sturdy welded steel frame offers longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 20647 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 99 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. The major reasons for its heavy weight are its 205 cc Vanguard™ engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame. However, the unit’s two 12" pneumatic wheels are crucial to its maneuvrability, since they provide a smooth method of manipulation on the job.
The Briggs & Stratton 20647's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. When a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent will be added automatically to the water.
- Pressure hose: The included 35 ft high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with Briggs & Stratton 20647's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: The Briggs & Stratton 20647 comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get wand, spray gun, soap hose, oil and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The Briggs & Stratton 20647 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, the sale and purchase of this pressure washer is permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Briggs & Stratton 20647's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 20647 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- With its 3600 PSI max pressure output, the Briggs & Stratton 20647 is in the expected pressure range, for gas-powered units in the $600-700 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Simpson PS60843, which reaches up to 4400 PSI.
- In comparison to other devices in the above-mentioned price range, this washer and its 2.5 GPM (gallons per minute), has one of the lower GPM values. If you’re after the highest rinsing efficiency, one of the units with the highest water flow in the current price range is the Simpson PS60843, that can deliver up to 4 GPM.
- The 9000 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), of the 20647 sit at an average, in reference to other gas-powered units of similar price. If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the Simpson PS60843 with its 17600 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 9000 and 9500 Cleaning Units, the Briggs & Stratton 20647 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||205 cc Vanguard™ 4-stroke OHV|
|Pump||Annovi Reverberi Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(D x W x H)
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀12", pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908 with an informal agreement between inventor Stephen F. Briggs and investor Harold F. Stratton, this company has become one of the most recognized names in the small engine manufacturing world. Headquartered in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA, the company has manufacturing facilities in five continents. Beginning in the early 2000's, Briggs & Stratton began to acquire other companies such as Generac Portable Power Systems and Simplicity, thereby expanding into the ownership of manufacturing not just engines, but portable outdoor power equipment such as generators, pressure washers, and other home products.
The Briggs & Stratton 20647 is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton pressure washers, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-743-4115.