The Briggs & Stratton 20683 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2800 PSI and flow of 2.1 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 20683
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 20683 is a medium to heavy duty pressure washer, which provides:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces or high reach areas
- intense cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Using a 163 cc engine, its axial cam pump delivers a pressure of up to 2800 PSI (roughly 47 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.1 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Together, the values result in a cleaning power of 5880 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Briggs & Stratton 725EXi engine.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.27 gallon.
Design & Handling
The Briggs & Stratton 20683 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D24 x W17 x H23 in. The strong steel frame assures assembly longevity. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
Weighing 59 lbs, the unit is easy to maneuver by most people. Its 163 cc Briggs & Stratton 725EXi engine and steel frame account for a good chunk of that weight. Nethertheless, thanks to its two 10" wheels, the 20683 remains very easy to manipulate and maneuver.
Along with the Briggs & Stratton 20683 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 25 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with Briggs & Stratton 20683's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: On top of an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and the usual documentation to get you swiftly started, the Briggs & Stratton 20683 also comes with oil, pressure hose, wand, spray gun and soap hose.
- Emissions: The Briggs & Stratton 20683 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means that this pressure washer can be bought and sold in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Briggs & Stratton 20683's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 20683 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Briggs & Stratton 20683 with its 2800 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $300-400 price range. As for the device with the most powerful water stream, in this price range, one of the top products is the Stanley SXPW3425 with 3400 PSI.
- This washer, with a GPM of 2.1 (gallons per minute) has a somewhat lower water flow value compared to devices in its price range. If rinsing away debris most efficiently is your priority, one of the devices with the highest GPM in this price range is the Lifan LFQ3370, which can reach up to 3 GPM.
- The 20683's Cleaning Units, 5880 CU (PSI x GPM), fall into the lower end when compared to gas-powered devices of similar price. If you consider the highest overall cleaning power as a really important factor, the Lifan LFQ3370 and its 9900 Cleaning Units has one of the highest cleaning efficiency of all the similarly priced units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 5500 and 6000 Cleaning Units, the Briggs & Stratton 20683 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||163 cc Briggs & Stratton 725EXi 4-stroke OHV|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 24 x 17 x 23 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10"|
|Included accessories||Oil, wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908 with an informal agreement between inventor Stephen F. Briggs and investor Harold F. Stratton, this company has become one of the most recognized names in the small engine manufacturing world. Headquartered in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA, the company has manufacturing facilities in five continents. Beginning in the early 2000's, Briggs & Stratton began to acquire other companies such as Generac Portable Power Systems and Simplicity, thereby expanding into the ownership of manufacturing not just engines, but portable outdoor power equipment such as generators, pressure washers, and other home products.
The Briggs & Stratton 20683 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton pressure washers, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-743-4115.