The Briggs & Stratton 20683 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2800 PSI and flow of 2.1 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 20683
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 20683 is a medium to heavy duty pressure washer, which provides:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces and high-reach cleaning
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
With a 163 cc engine, its axial cam pump delivers a pressure of 2800 PSI (roughly 47 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.1 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer), resulting in the Briggs & Stratton 20683's cleaning power of 5880 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Briggs & Stratton 725EXi engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.27 gallon.
Design & Handling
The Briggs & Stratton 20683 is very mobile, due to its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D24 x W17 x H23 in. The robust and sturdy steel frame offers longevity to the assembly. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
The majority of users will be able to maneuver this unit easily, it only weighs 59 lbs. Its 163 cc Briggs & Stratton 725EXi engine and steel frame all add up to a substantial part of that weight. Since the 20683 has a set of two 10" wheels, it is still easily maneuvered and manipulated.
The Briggs & Stratton 20683's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 25 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The table below shows you the 4 included nozzles, as well as the surfaces they're the most appropriate for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the Briggs & Stratton 20683's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the Briggs & Stratton 20683 comes with spray gun, soap hose, oil, pressure hose and wand.
- Emissions: The Briggs & Stratton 20683 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means that this pressure washer can be bought and sold in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Briggs & Stratton 20683's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 20683 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Briggs & Stratton 20683, a device which can produce up to 2800 PSI, is on the lower end of the pressure spectrum, among the gas-powered pressure washers in the $300-400 price range. As for the device with the most powerful water stream, in this price range, one of the top products is the Stanley SXPW3425 with 3400 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, this washer, with 2.1 GPM (gallons per minute), is placed on the lower end of the GPM scale. If maximum rinsing efficiency is your top priority, one of the devices with the highest water flow in the same price range is the Predator 3100, with a GPM of 2.8.
- The 20683's Cleaning Units, 5880 CU (PSI x GPM), fall into the lower end when compared to gas-powered devices of similar price. If you consider the highest overall cleaning power as a really important factor, the Westinghouse WPX3400 and its 8840 Cleaning Units has one of the highest cleaning efficiency of all the similarly priced units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 5500 and 6000 Cleaning Units, the Briggs & Stratton 20683 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||163 cc Briggs & Stratton 725EXi 4-stroke OHV|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 24 x 17 x 23 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10"|
|Included accessories||Oil, wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908 with an informal agreement between inventor Stephen F. Briggs and investor Harold F. Stratton, this company has become one of the most recognized names in the small engine manufacturing world. Headquartered in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA, the company has manufacturing facilities in five continents. Beginning in the early 2000's, Briggs & Stratton began to acquire other companies such as Generac Portable Power Systems and Simplicity, thereby expanding into the ownership of manufacturing not just engines, but portable outdoor power equipment such as generators, pressure washers, and other home products.
The Briggs & Stratton 20683 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton pressure washers, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-743-4115.