The Generac 8874 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2900 PSI and flow of 2.4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Generac 8874
In a nutshell, the Generac 8874 is a heavy duty pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
Its aluminum axial cam pump, which utilizes a 196 cc engine, may deliver a pressure of up to 2900 PSI (almost 48 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.4 GPM. These values correspond to a cleaning power of 6960 Cleaning Units.
The Generac engine of this gas-powered pressure washer relies on an old-school pull-start mechanism to get started.
A fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.8 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
The Generac 8874 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D24.4 x W18.9 x H35.5 in. The robust steel frame guarantees longevity of the assembly. The rubber-padded fixed handle adds to the 8874 convenience of transport, while offering a comfortable grip.
With a weight of 57 lbs, the unit can be easily maneuvered by most users. Its 196 cc Generac engine and steel frame account for a good chunk of that weight. But, as the 8874 does have a set of two 10" never-flat wheels, it can be easily maneuvered and manipulated.
Along with the Generac 8874 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: A neat storage for the included 25 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose (3100 PSI rating) is facilitated by a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook allows for an easy storage of the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with Generac 8874's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual and documentation to get you promptly started, the Generac 8874 comes with spray gun, pressure hose, wand and soap hose.
- Emissions: The Generac 8874 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac 8874's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac 8874 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Generac 8874, a device which can produce up to 2900 PSI, is on the lower end of the pressure spectrum, among the gas-powered pressure washers in the $250-300 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Powerhorse 89897, which reaches up to 3200 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, the GPM (gallons per minute) of this washer, which can reach 2.4, can be considered in the average. If rinsing away debris most efficiently is your priority, one of the devices with the highest GPM in this price range is the Powerhorse 89897, which can reach up to 2.6 GPM.
- In comparison to other gas-powered units of similar price, the 6960 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM) of the 8874 are average. If you consider the highest overall cleaning power as a really important factor, the Powerhorse 89897 and its 8320 Cleaning Units has one of the highest cleaning efficiency of all the similarly priced units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 6500 and 7000 Cleaning Units, the Generac 8874 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 24.4 x 18.9 x 35.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac 8874 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).