The Generac 8874 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2900 PSI and flow of 2.4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Generac 8874
The Generac 8874, a heavy duty pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces or high reach areas
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Its aluminum axial cam pump, which utilizes a 196 cc engine, may deliver a pressure of up to 2900 PSI (almost 48 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.4 GPM. These values correspond to a cleaning power of 6960 Cleaning Units.
The Generac engine of this gas-powered pressure washer relies on an old-school pull-start mechanism to get started.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.8 gallon.
Design & Handling
The Generac 8874 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D24.4 x W18.9 x H35.5 in. The robust steel frame guarantees longevity of the assembly. The rubber-padded fixed handle adds to the 8874 convenience of transport, while offering a comfortable grip.
Weighing 57 lbs, the unit is easy to maneuver by most people. Its 196 cc Generac engine and steel frame account for a good chunk of that weight. Nethertheless, thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels, the 8874 remains very easy to manipulate and maneuver.
Along with the Generac 8874 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: The 25 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose (3100 PSI rating), which is included with the device, can be stored neatly on the unit itself when idle, using a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The table below shows you the 4 included nozzles, as well as the surfaces they're the most appropriate for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the Generac 8874's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual and documentation to get you promptly started, the Generac 8874 comes with spray gun, soap hose, pressure hose and wand.
- Emissions: The Generac 8874 is CARB-compliant. Thus, it can be bought and sold in any of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac 8874's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac 8874 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- With a maximum pressure output of 2900 PSI, the Generac 8874 finds itself in the expected pressure range among gas-powered units that cost between $255 and $300. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the Simpson MS60920-S that can reach up to 3200 PSI.
- With a water flow of up to 2.4 GPM (gallons per minute), this washer belongs to the upper end of the above-mentioned price range, as it can deliver a high volume of water. If rinsing away debris most efficiently is your priority, one of the devices with the highest GPM in this price range is the Powermate 7131, which can reach up to 2.5 GPM.
- The 6960 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), of the 8874 result in an average cleaning efficiency, compared to similarly priced gas-powered units. If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the Simpson MS60920-S with its 8000 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 6500 and 7000 Cleaning Units, the Generac 8874 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget pressure washer.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 24.4 x 18.9 x 35.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac 8874 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).