The Generac 8874 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2900 PSI and flow of 2.4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Generac 8874
In summary, the Generac 8874 is a heavy duty pressure washer, that offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and also:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces and high-reach cleaning
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by a 196 cc engine, its aluminum axial cam pump can deliver a pressure of 2900 PSI (around 48 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.4 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Combined, these values mean that the Generac 8874 has a cleaning power of 6960 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Generac engine.
Gasoline is stored in a fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.8 gallon.
Design & Handling
With its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D24.4 x W18.9 x H35.5 in, the Generac 8874 provides great mobility. The robust and sturdy steel frame offers longevity to the assembly. The rubber-padded fixed handle adds to the 8874 convenience of transport, while offering a comfortable grip.
The device can be maneuvered with ease by most, since it only weighs 57 lbs. Its 196 cc Generac engine and steel frame account for a good chunk of that weight. Since the 8874 has a set of two 10" never-flat wheels, it is still easily maneuvered and manipulated.
The Generac 8874 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: A neat storage for the included 25 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose (3100 PSI rating) is facilitated by a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The following table illustrates the 4 included nozzles, along with the surfaces which they are the most suitable for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with Generac 8874's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Included with the Generac 8874 are also the owner's manual and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as spray gun, wand, pressure hose and soap hose.
- Emissions: The Generac 8874 is CARB-compliant, and you may buy or sell it any of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac 8874's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac 8874 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- With a maximum pressure output of 2900 PSI, the Generac 8874 finds itself in the expected pressure range among gas-powered units that cost between $240 and $300. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the Rainier RPX3200 that can reach up to 3200 PSI.
- Considering its water flow, this washer, with a GPM (gallons per minute) of 2.4 is in the average compared to other devices in its price range. If maximum rinsing efficiency is your top priority, one of the devices with the highest water flow in the same price range is the Excell EPW2123100, with a GPM of 2.8.
- As the 8874 has a total of 6960 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), it finds itself in the average cleaning efficiency range for similarly priced gas-powered units. If the highest overall cleaning power is your top priority, the Excell EPW2123100, which can reach up to 8680 Cleaning Units, is one of the most efficient of the devices in the current price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 6500 and 7000 Cleaning Units, the Generac 8874 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget pressure washer.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 24.4 x 18.9 x 35.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac 8874 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).