The Generac 8874 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2900 PSI and flow of 2.4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 24.4 x 18.9 x 35.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the Generac 8874
The Generac 8874, a heavy duty pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces and high-reach cleaning
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Ahead are presented its power characteristics and design, its main features and any other additional features.
Using a 196 cc engine, its aluminum axial cam pump delivers a pressure of up to 2900 PSI (roughly 48 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.4 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Together, the values result in a cleaning power of 6960 Cleaning Units.
The Generac engine of this gas-powered pressure washer gets started by a classic pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline is stored in a fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.8 gallon.
Design & Handling
With its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D24.4 x W18.9 x H35.5 in, the Generac 8874 provides great mobility. The robust and sturdy steel frame offers longevity to the assembly. The rubber-padded fixed handle adds to the 8874 convenience of transport, while offering a comfortable grip.
Most users can maneuver this model easily, as it weighs just 57 lbs. One of the largest contributors to its weight are its 196 cc Generac engine and its steel frame. The 8874 can still be easily manipulated and maneuvered, thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels.
The Generac 8874's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. Whenever a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent is automatically added to the water.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 25 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose (3100 PSI rating) can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook allows for an easy storage of the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 nozzles included with the device, and the respective surfaces which they’re the most suitable for, are shown in the following table.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Generac 8874's handy storage area lets you store nozzles and accessories, and thus, you’ll be always prepared and have everything necessary for the job at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: The Generac 8874 comes with an owner's manual and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get spray gun, wand, pressure hose and soap hose.
- Emissions: The Generac 8874 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac 8874's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac 8874 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- With a maximum pressure output of 2900 PSI, the Generac 8874 finds itself in the expected pressure range among gas-powered units that cost between $240 and $300. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the Westinghouse WPX3400 that can reach up to 3400 PSI.
- In its respective price range, the water flow of this washer, 2.4 GPM (gallons per minute), ranks as average. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the Westinghouse WPX3400, with 2.6 GPM.
- The 6960 Cleaning Units (PSI X GPM), of the 8874 result in an average cleaning efficiency, compared to similarly priced gas-powered units. If you consider the highest overall cleaning power as a really important factor, the Westinghouse WPX3400 and its 8840 Cleaning Units has one of the highest cleaning efficiency of all the similarly priced units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 6500 and 7000 Cleaning Units, the Generac 8874 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget pressure washer.
The bottom line
- Good range of nozzles included
- Onboard storage
- Several security features
- Decent PSI for the price
- Decent GPM for the price
- Decent CU for the price
- No soap tank
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac 8874 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).