The Generac 8874 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2900 PSI and flow of 2.4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Generac 8874
The Generac 8874, a heavy duty pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by a 196 cc engine, its aluminum axial cam pump can deliver a pressure of 2900 PSI (around 48 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.4 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Combined, these values mean that the Generac 8874 has a cleaning power of 6960 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Generac engine.
The fuel is stored in a tank, which can hold up to 0.8 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The Generac 8874 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D24.4 x W18.9 x H35.5 in. The robust and sturdy steel frame offers longevity to the assembly. The rubber-padded fixed handle adds to the 8874 convenience of transport, while offering a comfortable grip.
The majority of users will be able to maneuver this unit easily, it only weighs 57 lbs. Its 196 cc Generac engine and steel frame account for a good chunk of that weight. The 8874 can still be easily manipulated and maneuvered, thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels.
The Generac 8874 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. Whenever a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent is automatically added to the water.
- Pressure hose: The 25 ft ⌀1/4" high-pressure hose (3100 PSI rating), which is included with the device, can be stored neatly on the unit itself when idle, using a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: The included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand can be easily stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The table below shows you the 4 included nozzles, as well as the surfaces they're the most appropriate for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Generac 8874 allows you to be always fully prepared, as it features a handy storage area, where nozzles and accessories can be stored.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Included with the Generac 8874 are also the owner's manual and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as spray gun, wand, pressure hose and soap hose.
- Emissions: The Generac 8874 is CARB-compliant. Thus, it can be bought and sold in any of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac 8874's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac 8874 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Generac 8874 with its 2900 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $255-300 price range. As for the device with the most powerful water stream, in this price range, one of the top products is the Simpson CM61083 with 3400 PSI.
- In its respective price range, the water flow of this washer, 2.4 GPM (gallons per minute), ranks as average. If rinsing away debris most efficiently is your priority, one of the devices with the highest GPM in this price range is the Excell EPW2123100, which can reach up to 2.8 GPM.
- The 8874 ranks as below average in terms of Cleaning Units, compared to gas-powered devices in its price range, reaching only a value of 6960 CU (PSI x GPM). If the highest overall cleaning power is your top priority, the Excell EPW2123100, which can reach up to 8680 Cleaning Units, is one of the most efficient of the devices in the current price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 6500 and 7000 Cleaning Units, the Generac 8874 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget pressure washer.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀1/4|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 24.4 x 18.9 x 35.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac 8874 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).