The Generac XC4000W #8872 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4000 PSI and flow of 3.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||389cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||8872|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||35 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 51.5 x 23.3 x 32.5 in|
|Wheels||3 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Stainless steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the Generac XC4000W
In summary, the Generac XC4000W is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and also:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
Its aluminum triplex pump, which utilizes a powerful 389 cc engine, may deliver a pressure of up to 4000 PSI (almost 67 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3.5 GPM. These values correspond to a cleaning power of 14000 Cleaning Units.
The Honda GX390 engine of this gas-powered pressure washer gets started by a classic pull-start mechanism.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 1.52 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Generac XC4000W grants mobility and stability to the unit. The strong welded steel frame assures assembly longevity. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
The device weighs 150 lbs and thus, is far from lightweight. Transporting and manually lifting it may therefore pose a challenge. The main contributors to its weight are its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame. However, the unit is manipulated smoothly thanks to its three 10" never-flat wheels, which play a key role in its maneuverability.
Along with the Generac XC4000W itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: The XC4000W does not feature a traditional soap tank. Instead, the detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. For this purpose, it has an integrated 5 gallon bucket holder that can hold cleaning detergent or serve as an additional onboard storage for tools and accessories. This bucket holder can be folded to save storage space. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: This washer comes with an easy-to-connect 35 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose (4200 PSI rating). But, there is no proper storage solution designed for it (no reel, strap or hook).
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its stainless steel wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook. A rotating auxiliary side handle further improves both left-handed and right-handed users' comfort.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Generac XC4000W's handy storage area lets you store nozzles and accessories, and thus, you’ll be always prepared and have everything necessary for the job at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage), a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a low oil protection.
- Accessories: Included with the Generac XC4000W are also the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as wand, soap hose, pressure hose and spray gun.
- Emissions: The Generac XC4000W is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. And so, this pressure washer is available for sale and purchase in any of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac XC4000W's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac XC4000W compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Generac XC4000W with its 4000 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $1450-2000 price range. In case you are looking for a device with the highest possible power of its water stream, one of the top achievers in this price range is the Husqvarna HH42 with a PSI of 4200.
- In comparison to other devices in the above-mentioned price range, this washer and its 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute), has one of the lower GPM values. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the Husqvarna HH42, with 4 GPM.
- The XC4000W has 14000 Cleaning Units (PSI X GPM), which can be considered low in comparison to other gas-powered devices of this price. If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the Husqvarna HH42 with its 16800 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 13800 and 14700 Cleaning Units, the Generac XC4000W is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac XC4000W is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).