The Generac XC4000W #8872 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4000 PSI and flow of 3.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||8872|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||35 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 51.5 x 23.3 x 32.5 in|
|Wheels||3 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Stainless steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the Generac XC4000W
In summary, the Generac XC4000W is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and also:
- spot cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces and out-of-reach areas
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Its aluminum triplex pump, which utilizes a powerful 389 cc engine, may deliver a pressure of up to 4000 PSI (almost 67 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3.5 GPM. These values correspond to a cleaning power of 14000 Cleaning Units.
The Honda GX390 engine of this gas-powered pressure washer gets started by a classic pull-start mechanism.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 1.52 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Generac XC4000W grants mobility and stability to the unit. Its sturdy welded steel frame provides longevity to the assembly. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
The unit's weight of 150 lbs renders its carrying and transportation challenging, as it is far from lightweight. Its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, the unit is mobile thanks to its three 10" never-flat wheels, which add to its movability and allow it to be manipulated smoothly on the job.
The Generac XC4000W's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: The XC4000W does not feature a traditional soap tank. Instead, the detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. For this purpose, it has an integrated 5 gallon bucket holder that can hold cleaning detergent or serve as an additional onboard storage for tools and accessories. This bucket holder can be folded to save storage space. When a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent will be added automatically to the water.
- Pressure hose: The unit comes with an easy-to-connect 35 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose (4200 PSI rating). However, it doesn't feature any proper storage solution for it (no reel, strap or hook).
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its stainless steel wand. A rotating auxiliary side handle further improves both left-handed and right-handed users' comfort.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Generac XC4000W features a handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store nozzles and accessories and be always prepared by having everything needed at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Included with the Generac XC4000W are also the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as soap hose, spray gun, pressure hose and wand.
- Emissions: The Generac XC4000W is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, the sale and purchase of this pressure washer is permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac XC4000W's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac XC4000W compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Generac XC4000W, reaching a PSI of up to 4000, is one of the more powerful gas-powered units in $1300-1600 price range. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the NorthStar 157127 that can reach up to 4200 PSI.
- The achievable water flow of this washer, which reaches 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute) can be described as low, compared to other devices in its price range. If maximum rinsing efficiency is your top priority, one of the devices with the highest water flow in the same price range is the NorthStar 157130, with a GPM of 5.
- Amongst similarly priced gas-powered devices, the 14000 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM) of the XC4000W rank as low. When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the Stihl RB 800 and its 16800 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14000 and 14500 Cleaning Units, the Generac XC4000W is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac XC4000W is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).