The Generac XC4000W #8872 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4000 PSI and flow of 3.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Generac XC4000W
The Generac XC4000W is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that provides its users with an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and enables:
- spot cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces and out-of-reach areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
With an impressive 389 cc engine, its aluminum triplex pump delivers a pressure of 4000 PSI (roughly 67 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer), resulting in the Generac XC4000W's cleaning power of 14000 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX390 engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 1.52 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Generac XC4000W grants mobility and stability to the unit. The robust and sturdy welded steel frame offers longevity to the assembly. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
The unit's weight of 150 lbs renders its carrying and transportation challenging, as it is far from lightweight. A key role in its final weight is played by its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame. However, the unit is mobile thanks to its three 10" never-flat wheels, which add to its movability and allow it to be manipulated smoothly on the job.
The Generac XC4000W comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: The XC4000W does not feature a traditional soap tank. Instead, the detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. For this purpose, it has an integrated 5 gallon bucket holder that can hold cleaning detergent or serve as an additional onboard storage for tools and accessories. This bucket holder can be folded to save storage space. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: The unit comes with an easy-to-connect 35 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose (4200 PSI rating). But, there is no proper storage solution designed for it (no reel, strap or hook).
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its stainless steel wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook. A rotating auxiliary side handle further improves both left-handed and right-handed users' comfort.
- Nozzles: The table below shows you the 5 included nozzles, as well as the surfaces they're the most appropriate for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Generac XC4000W's handy storage area lets you store nozzles and accessories, and thus, you’ll be always prepared and have everything necessary for the job at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Included with the Generac XC4000W are also the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as pressure hose, wand, soap hose and spray gun.
- Emissions: The Generac XC4000W is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this pressure washer is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Generac XC4000W's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac XC4000W compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- With its 4000 PSI max pressure output, the Generac XC4000W is in the expected pressure range, for gas-powered units in the $1150-1400 price range. As for the device with the most powerful water stream, in this price range, one of the top products is the NorthStar 157127 with 4200 PSI.
- This washer reaches 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute) and thus, has an average water flow compared to similarly priced devices. In case you are looking for a device which can most efficiently rinse away debris in the current price range, the Generac XC4200W has the highest GPM of 4.
- The XC4000W's Cleaning Units, 14000 CU (PSI x GPM), fall into the lower end when compared to gas-powered devices of similar price. If the highest overall cleaning power is your top priority, the Generac XC4200W, which can reach up to 16800 Cleaning Units, is one of the most efficient of the devices in the current price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14000 and 14500 Cleaning Units, the Generac XC4000W is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||8872|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||35 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 51.5 x 23.3 x 32.5 in|
|Wheels||3 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Stainless steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac XC4000W is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).