The Generac XC4200W #8873 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4200 PSI and flow of 4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||420cc Generac G-Force OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||8873|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||35 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 51.5 x 23.3 x 32.5 in|
|Wheels||3 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Stainless steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the Generac XC4200W
In summary, the Generac XC4200W is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and also:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces or high reach areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
The Generac XC4200W's triplex pump, powered by a powerful 420 cc engine, can provide a pressure of up to 4200 PSI (approximately 70 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 4 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). The Generac XC4200W thus has a cleaning power of 16800 Cleaning Units.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 1.6 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Generac XC4200W grants mobility and stability to the unit. The robust welded steel frame guarantees longevity of the assembly. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
With a weight of 151 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. Its 420 cc Generac G-Force engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, its three 10" never-flat wheels play an important part in its maneuverability, as they allow for a smooth manipulation on the job.
The Generac XC4200W's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: The XC4200W does not feature a traditional soap tank. Instead, the detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. For this purpose, it has an integrated 5 gallon bucket holder that can hold cleaning detergent or serve as an additional onboard storage for tools and accessories. This bucket holder can be folded to save storage space. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: The unit comes with an easy-to-connect 35 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose (4200 PSI rating). But, there is no proper storage solution designed for it (no reel, strap or hook).
- Spray gun and wand: The included classic ergonomic spray gun and its stainless steel wand can be easily stored in a side hook. A rotating auxiliary side handle further improves both left-handed and right-handed users' comfort.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Generac XC4200W's handy storage area lets you store nozzles and accessories, and thus, you’ll be always prepared and have everything necessary for the job at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation), a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a low oil protection.
- Accessories: The Generac XC4200W comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get pressure hose, spray gun, soap hose and wand.
- Emissions: The Generac XC4200W is NOT CARB-compliant. Therefore, it is not available in California for sale nor purchase.
The Generac XC4200W's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac XC4200W compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- With 4200 PSI, the Generac XC4200W ranks as one that can reach an above average pressure, amongst the gas-powered products that cost between $1100 and $1500. If the highest possible power of the water stream is your priority, one of the champions in this price range is the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA with 4500 PSI.
- With a maximum GPM of 4 (gallons per minute), this washer belongs to the best in terms of water flow, in its respective price range.
- The XC4200W, which reaches up to 16800 Cleaning Units (PSI X GPM) is one of the more efficient, in comparison to its similarly priced counterparts. If you consider the highest overall cleaning power as a really important factor, the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA and its 18000 Cleaning Units has one of the highest cleaning efficiency of all the similarly priced units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 16500 and 17000 Cleaning Units, the Generac XC4200W is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac XC4200W is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).