The Generac XC4200W #8873 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4200 PSI and flow of 4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Generac XC4200W
The Generac XC4200W, a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces or high reach areas
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by an impressive 420 cc engine, its triplex pump can deliver a pressure of 4200 PSI (around 70 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 4 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Combined, these values mean that the Generac XC4200W has a cleaning power of 16800 Cleaning Units.
A steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.6 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Generac XC4200W grants mobility and stability to the unit. The strong welded steel frame assures assembly longevity. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
The unit's weight of 151 lbs renders its carrying and transportation challenging, as it is far from lightweight. Its 420 cc Generac G-Force engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, the unit’s three 10" never-flat wheels are crucial to its maneuverability, since they provide a smooth method of manipulation on the job.
The Generac XC4200W comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: The XC4200W does not feature a traditional soap tank. Instead, the detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. For this purpose, it has an integrated 5 gallon bucket holder that can hold cleaning detergent or serve as an additional onboard storage for tools and accessories. This bucket holder can be folded to save storage space. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: This washer comes with an easy-to-connect 35 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose (4200 PSI rating). But, there is no proper storage solution designed for it (no reel, strap or hook).
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its stainless steel wand. The gun features a rotating auxiliary side handle to further improve the comfort of both left and right-handed users.
- Nozzles: The table below shows you the 5 included nozzles, as well as the surfaces they're the most appropriate for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the Generac XC4200W's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage), a low oil protection and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Included with the Generac XC4200W are also the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as soap hose, spray gun, pressure hose and wand.
- Emissions: The Generac XC4200W is NOT CARB-compliant and so you cannot buy it nor sell it in California.
The Generac XC4200W's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Generac XC4200W compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Generac XC4200W, with a maximum pressure output of 4200 PSI, has an average pressure output, when considering gas-powered units in $1100 to $1500 price range. In case you are looking for a device with the highest possible power of its water stream, one of the top achievers in this price range is the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA with a PSI of 4500.
- With a maximum GPM of 4 (gallons per minute), this washer belongs to the best in terms of water flow, in its respective price range.
- With a rather impressive value of 16800 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), the XC4200W has a higher cleaning efficiency compared to similarly priced devices. When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA and its 18000 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 16500 and 17000 Cleaning Units, the Generac XC4200W is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||420 cc Generac G-Force OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||8873|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||35 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 51.5 x 23.3 x 32.5 in|
|Wheels||3 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Stainless steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in a garage in Wales, Wisconsin by Robert Kern and five employees, Generac has been a leader in power generation systems since 1959. In the early 1960s, Generac began producing electric generators for Sears and Roebuck Company. During the 1970s the company began to manufacture other outdoor power equipment such as electric chainsaws, pressure washers, and welders. Generac, now a subsidiary of CCMP Capital, continues to be headquartered in Waukesha, with manufacturing facilities in four other cities in Wisconsin USA.
The Generac XC4200W is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Generac pressure washers, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).