The Kärcher K4 is an electric pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 1900 PSI and flow of 1.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Kärcher K4
The Kärcher K4 is a light to medium duty pressure washer, that provides its users with an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and enables:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces and high-reach cleaning
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by a 13 amp induction motor, its axial pump can deliver a pressure of 1900 PSI (around 32 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 1.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Combined, these values mean that the Kärcher K4 has a cleaning power of 2850 Cleaning Units.
Since it is an electric pressure washer, the motor of the K4 is started simply by an ON/OFF switch. The unit is ready-to-use with peace of mind, thanks to the included 35 ft GFCI cord.
Design & Handling
With its portable design and approximate dimensions of D12 x W15.6 x H34.3 in, the Kärcher K4 makes mobility one of its core strengths. The handle adds to the K4 convenience of transport.
Because the device weighs just 26.5 lbs, carrying it around is very easy. It is lightweight, partly thanks to its plastic frame. As if this lightweight wasn't enough, the device also features two wheels to further improve its ease of use and of transport.
Along with the Kärcher K4 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: A safe detergent storage is facilitated by a removable tank. The unit features a dial to allow you to manually choose the detergent dilution ratio. Detergent is automatically dispensed when the VPS wand is in low pressure mode.
- Pressure hose: A neat storage for the included 25 ft high-pressure hose is facilitated by a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its VPS wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook. The Vario Power Spray (VPS) wand allows you to conveniently switch from low to high pressure, and everything between, while you clean. Simply twist the end for infinitely variable pressure adjustment.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: On top of an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and the usual documentation to get you swiftly started, the Kärcher K4 also comes with DirtBlaster turbo spray wand (which is especially useful on stubborn dirt), spray gun, detergent tank, wand, power cord and pressure hose.
The Kärcher K4's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Kärcher K4 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Karcher K4 and its 1900 PSI, ranks amongst electric pressure washers with a comparably low pressure output, considering the units that cost between $195 and $255. As for the device with the most powerful water stream, in this price range, one of the top products is the Sun Joe SPX4600 with 3000 PSI.
- The water flow of this washer, which reaches up to 1.5 GPM (gallons per minute) is one of the higher values found in the above-mentioned price range. If you’re after the highest rinsing efficiency, one of the units with the highest water flow in the current price range is the Realm BY02-BIMK, that can deliver up to 1.75 GPM.
- With the K4's 2850 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), its cleaning efficiency range may be considered average, compared to electric units of similar price. If the highest overall cleaning power is your top priority, the Realm BY02-BIMK, which can reach up to 4550 Cleaning Units, is one of the most efficient of the devices in the current price range.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other electric washers between 2500 and 3000 Cleaning Units, the Karcher K4 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (104°F max.)|
|Motor||13 amp, induction|
|Other model numbers||1.603-152.0|
|Quick connect nozzles||No|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 12 x 15.6 x 34.3 in|
|Included accessories||VPS wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, dirt blaster, detergent tank, 35 ft GFCI power cord|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1935 by Alfred Kärcher, this family-owned business is headquartered in Winnenden, Germany. Credited with developing Europe's first hot water high-pressure washer in 1950, the company continues to pride itself on ingenuity and innovative thinking for new solutions in the cleaning industry. Kärcher also insists on being a socially- and ecologically-sustainable company. The popularity of the brand can be seen by the fact that the name Kärcher has in some European countries become a colloquial term used synonymously with pressure washers.
The Kärcher K4 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Kärcher pressure washers, please contact the Kärcher Customer Support: 1-800-537-4129.