The NorthStar 157121 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3100 PSI and flow of 2.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157121
The NorthStar 157121, a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Its triplex pump, which utilizes a 187 cc engine, may deliver a pressure of up to 3100 PSI (almost 52 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.5 GPM. These values correspond to a cleaning power of 7750 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GC190 engine.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.53 gallon.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the NorthStar 157121 grants mobility and stability to the unit. Its sturdy steel tubing frame provides longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 157121 convenience of transport.
This model weighs 91 lbs. For this reason, it cannot be called lightweight and thus, carrying and transporting it might be somewhat challenging. Its 187 cc Honda GC190 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, the unit is mobile thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels, which add to its movability and allow it to be manipulated smoothly on the job.
Along with the NorthStar 157121 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The automatic soap dilution mechanism of the NorthStar 157121 will dilute the detergent with a 15:1 ratio. If a soap nozzle is attached, the device will proceed to add the detergent to the water automatically.
- Pressure hose: The included 25 ft ⌀5/16" high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the NorthStar 157121's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation), a low oil protection and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: On top of an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and the usual documentation to get you swiftly started, the NorthStar 157121 also comes with spray gun, pressure hose, soap hose and wand.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157121 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means that this pressure washer can be bought and sold in each of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157121's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157121 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157121, which can achieve a PSI of up to 3100, falls behind the other gas-powered pressure washers in the $625 to $700 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Simpson ALH3425-S, which reaches up to 3600 PSI.
- The achievable water flow of this washer, which reaches 2.5 GPM (gallons per minute) can be described as low, compared to other devices in its price range. If you’re after the highest rinsing efficiency, one of the units with the highest water flow in the current price range is the Stihl RB 400, that can deliver up to 2.7 GPM.
- With 7750 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), the 157121 is on the low end when compared to other similarly priced gas-powered devices. When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the Simpson ALH3425-S and its 9000 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 7500 and 8000 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157121 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||187 cc Honda GC190 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||Comet DWD Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀5/16|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157121 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.