The NorthStar 157121 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3100 PSI and flow of 2.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157121
The NorthStar 157121 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that provides its users with an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and enables:
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
With a 187 cc engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of 3100 PSI (roughly 52 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer), resulting in the NorthStar 157121's cleaning power of 7750 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GC190 engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.53 gallon.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the NorthStar 157121 grants mobility and stability to the unit. The robust and sturdy steel tubing frame offers longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 157121 convenience of transport.
The device weighs 91 lbs and thus, is far from lightweight. Transporting and manually lifting it may therefore pose a challenge. The major reasons for its heavy weight are its 187 cc Honda GC190 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame. However, the device’s two 10" never-flat wheels play a key role in its maneuvrability, as they allow it to be manipulated smoothly.
The NorthStar 157121 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. The NorthStar 157121 features an automatic soap dilution mechanism, that will dilute your detergent with a 15:1 ratio. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: The included 25 ft ⌀5/16" high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with NorthStar 157121's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: The NorthStar 157121 comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get soap hose, spray gun, pressure hose and wand.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157121 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, the sale and purchase of this pressure washer is permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157121's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157121 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157121, which can achieve a PSI of up to 3100, falls behind the other gas-powered pressure washers in the $500 to $600 price range. As for the device with the most powerful water stream, in this price range, one of the top products is the A-iPower APW4200 with 4200 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, this washer, with 2.5 GPM (gallons per minute), is placed on the lower end of the GPM scale. In case you are looking for a device which can most efficiently rinse away debris in the current price range, the A-iPower APW4200 has the highest GPM of 4.
- With 7750 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), the 157121 is on the low end when compared to other similarly priced gas-powered devices. If you consider the highest overall cleaning power as a really important factor, the A-iPower APW4200 and its 16800 Cleaning Units has one of the highest cleaning efficiency of all the similarly priced units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 7500 and 8000 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157121 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||187 cc Honda GC190 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||Comet DWD Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀5/16|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157121 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.