The NorthStar 157124 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3600 PSI and flow of 3 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157124
In a nutshell, the NorthStar 157124 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
With an impressive 270 cc (8.5 hp) engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of 3600 PSI (roughly 60 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer), resulting in the NorthStar 157124's cleaning power of 10800 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX270 engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
A steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.4 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the NorthStar 157124 grants mobility and stability to the unit. Its sturdy steel tubing frame provides longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 157124 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 118 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. A key role in its final weight is played by its 270 cc Honda GX270 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame. However, the unit is manipulated smoothly thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels, which play a key role in its maneuvrability.
The NorthStar 157124 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. The NorthStar 157124 has an automatic soap dilution mechanism, which dilutes the detergent using a 15:1 ratio. Whenever a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent is automatically added to the water.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 50 ft high-pressure hose can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 4 nozzles included with the device, and the respective surfaces which they’re the most suitable for, are shown in the following table.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The NorthStar 157124 features a handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store nozzles and accessories and be always prepared by having everything needed at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the NorthStar 157124 comes with pressure hose, wand, soap hose and spray gun.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157124 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this pressure washer is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157124's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157124 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157124 with its 3600 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $1000-1300 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the NorthStar 157127, which reaches up to 4200 PSI.
- This washer, with a GPM of 3 (gallons per minute) has a somewhat lower water flows value compared to devices in its price range. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the DeWalt DXPW60605, with 4 GPM.
- Amongst similarly priced gas-powered devices, the 10800 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM) of the 157124 rank as low. If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the DeWalt DXPW60605 with its 16800 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 9500 and 12000 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157124 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||270 cc 8.5 HP Honda GX270 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 4SPX Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157124 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.