The NorthStar 157124 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3600 PSI and flow of 3 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157124
In a nutshell, the NorthStar 157124 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by an impressive 270 cc (8.5 hp) engine, its triplex pump can deliver a pressure of 3600 PSI (around 60 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Combined, these values mean that the NorthStar 157124 has a cleaning power of 10800 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX270 engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 1.4 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the NorthStar 157124 grants mobility and stability to the unit. Its sturdy steel tubing frame provides longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 157124 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 118 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. Its 270 cc Honda GX270 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame are mainly responsible for its heavy weight. However, the device’s two 10" never-flat wheels play a key role in its maneuvrability, as they allow it to be manipulated smoothly.
The NorthStar 157124's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The automatic soap dilution mechanism of the NorthStar 157124 will dilute the detergent with a 15:1 ratio. When a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent will be added automatically to the water.
- Pressure hose: A neat storage for the included 50 ft high-pressure hose is facilitated by a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook allows for an easy storage of the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The NorthStar 157124 features a handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store nozzles and accessories and be always prepared by having everything needed at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage), a low oil protection and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the NorthStar 157124 comes with wand, pressure hose, soap hose and spray gun.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157124 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means that this pressure washer can be bought and sold in each of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157124's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157124 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157124 and its 3600 PSI, ranks amongst gas-powered pressure washers with a comparably low pressure output, considering the units that cost between $1000 and $1300. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the NorthStar 157127 that can reach up to 4200 PSI.
- This washer, with a GPM of 3 (gallons per minute) has a somewhat lower water flows value compared to devices in its price range. In case you are looking for a device which can most efficiently rinse away debris in the current price range, the DeWalt DXPW60605 has the highest GPM of 4.
- The 157124 ranks as below average in terms of Cleaning Units, compared to gas-powered devices in its price range, reaching only a value of 10800 CU (PSI x GPM). If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the DeWalt DXPW60605 with its 16800 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 9600 and 11900 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157124 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||270 cc 8.5 HP Honda GX270 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 4SPX Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157124 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.