The NorthStar 157124 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3600 PSI and flow of 3 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||277cc Kohler CH395 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 4SPX Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||50 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the NorthStar 157124
In summary, the NorthStar 157124 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and also:
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics and design, its main features and all the additional features it has to offer.
With an impressive 277cc engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of 3600 PSI (roughly 60 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer), resulting in the NorthStar 157124's cleaning power of 10800 Cleaning Units.
The Kohler CH395 engine of this gas-powered pressure washer relies on an old-school pull-start mechanism to get started.
A steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.9 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the NorthStar 157124 grants mobility and stability to the unit. The strong steel tubing frame assures assembly longevity. The handle adds to the 157124 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 118 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. A key role in its final weight is played by its 277cc Kohler CH395 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame. However, the unit is manipulated smoothly thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels, which play a key role in its maneuverability.
Along with the NorthStar 157124 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The detergent is diluted with a 15:1 ratio by the NorthStar 157124's automatic soap dilution mechanism. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 50 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook allows for an easy storage of the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The NorthStar 157124 allows you to be always fully prepared, as it features a handy storage area, where nozzles and accessories can be stored.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation), a low oil protection and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Included with the NorthStar 157124 are also the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as spray gun, soap hose, wand and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157124 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, the sale and purchase of this pressure washer is permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157124's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157124 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157124 with its 3600 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $900-1000 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Predator 4400, which reaches up to 4400 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, this washer, with 3 GPM (gallons per minute), is placed on the lower end of the GPM scale. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the Predator 4400, with 4.2 GPM.
- The 157124's Cleaning Units, 10800 CU (PSI X GPM), fall into the lower end when compared to gas-powered devices of similar price. In case you are looking for the highest overall cleaning power, in this price range, one of the current champions is the Predator 4400 and its 18480 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 9600 and 11900 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157124 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Triplex pump
- Designed to be stable
- Good range of nozzles included
- Automatic detergent dilution
- Onboard storage
- Several security features
- 10 year (limited) warranty
- No soap tank
- Low PSI for the price
- Low GPM for the price
- Low CU for the price
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157124 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.