The NorthStar 157127 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4200 PSI and flow of 3.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||389cc 11.7 HP Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 66DX35 Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||50 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the NorthStar 157127
The NorthStar 157127, a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Its power characteristics and design, its main features and all its additional features are presented ahead.
The NorthStar 157127's triplex pump, powered by a powerful 389cc (11.7 hp) engine, can provide a pressure of up to 4200 PSI (approximately 70 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). The NorthStar 157127 thus has a cleaning power of 14700 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX390 engine.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 1.5 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The NorthStar 157127 is very mobile, due to its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of L40.3 x W26 x H23.8 in. The robust and sturdy steel tubing frame offers longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 157127 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 145 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. The main contributors to its weight are its 389cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame. However, the unit is mobile thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels, which add to its movability and allow it to be manipulated smoothly on the job.
The NorthStar 157127's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The detergent is diluted with a 15:1 ratio by the NorthStar 157127's automatic soap dilution mechanism. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: The included 50 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The NorthStar 157127 features a handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store nozzles and accessories and be always prepared by having everything needed at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the NorthStar 157127 comes with spray gun, wand, soap hose and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157127 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, the sale and purchase of this pressure washer is permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157127's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157127 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157127, which can reach a PSI of 4200, achieves an average pressure output, compared to other gas-powered units that cost between $1300 and $1700. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA, which reaches up to 4500 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, this washer, with 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute), is placed on the lower end of the GPM scale. In case you are looking for a device which can most efficiently rinse away debris in the current price range, the Stihl RB 800 has the highest GPM of 4.
- With 14700 Cleaning Units (PSI X GPM), the 157127 is on the low end when compared to other similarly priced gas-powered devices. In case you are looking for the highest overall cleaning power, in this price range, one of the current champions is the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA and its 18000 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14000 and 15500 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157127 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Triplex pump
- Honda engine
- Good range of nozzles included
- Automatic detergent dilution
- Onboard storage
- Several security features
- 10 year (limited) warranty
- Decent PSI for the price
- On the expensive side
- No soap tank
- Low GPM for the price
- Low CU for the price
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157127 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.