The NorthStar 157127 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4200 PSI and flow of 3.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157127
The NorthStar 157127 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that provides its users with an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and enables:
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
With a powerful 389 cc (11.7 hp) engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of 4200 PSI (roughly 70 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer), resulting in the NorthStar 157127's cleaning power of 14700 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX390 engine.
A steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.5 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
Thanks to its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of L40.3 x W26 x H23.8 in, the NorthStar 157127 offers great mobility. The robust and sturdy steel tubing frame offers longevity to the assembly. The handle adds to the 157127 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 145 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. Its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, the unit is mobile thanks to its two 10" never-flat wheels, which add to its movability and allow it to be manipulated smoothly on the job.
Along with the NorthStar 157127 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. The NorthStar 157127 features an automatic soap dilution mechanism, that will dilute your detergent with a 15:1 ratio. When a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent will be added automatically to the water.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 50 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 4 nozzles included with the device, and the respective surfaces which they’re the most suitable for, are shown in the following table.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with NorthStar 157127's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the NorthStar 157127 comes with spray gun, soap hose, wand and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157127 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means that this pressure washer can be bought and sold in each of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157127's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157127 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157127, with a max water pressure of 4200 PSI, has one of the higher PSI values of the gas-powered products in the $1100-1500 price range. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the Lifan LFQ4515E-Elite that can reach up to 4500 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, this washer, with 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute), is placed on the lower end of the GPM scale. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the DeWalt DXPW60605, with 4 GPM.
- The 14700 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), of the 157127 sit at an average, in reference to other gas-powered units of similar price. When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the Lifan LFQ4515E-Elite and its 18000 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14000 and 15500 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157127 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc 11.7 HP Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 66DX35 Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||50 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157127 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.