The NorthStar 157130 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3000 PSI and flow of 5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157130
The NorthStar 157130, a heavy duty pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- intense cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Its triplex pump, which utilizes a powerful 389 cc engine, may deliver a pressure of up to 3000 PSI (almost 50 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 5 GPM. These values correspond to a cleaning power of 15000 Cleaning Units.
The Honda GX390 engine of this gas-powered pressure washer relies on an old-school pull-start mechanism to get started.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 1.6 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The NorthStar 157130 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of L40.3 x W26 x H23.8 in. The robust steel tubing frame guarantees longevity of the assembly. The handle adds to the 157130 convenience of transport.
At 140 lbs, we can't really say that the unit is a lightweight, and manually lifting or transporting it could be a challenge. The main contributor to its weight are its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame. However, the device’s two 10" never-flat wheels play a key role in its maneuvrability, as they allow it to be manipulated smoothly.
The NorthStar 157130 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 50 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The NorthStar 157130 allows you to be always fully prepared, as it features a handy storage area, where nozzles and accessories can be stored.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: The NorthStar 157130 comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get wand, spray gun and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157130 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. And so, this pressure washer is available for sale and purchase in any of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157130's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157130 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
Note: Even though we couldn’t list its price on this page, our research indicates that some brick-and-mortar retailers sell this unit around $1599.
- The NorthStar 157130 with its 3000 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $1350-1600 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the NorthStar 157127, which reaches up to 4200 PSI.
- With a maximum GPM of 5 (gallons per minute), this washer belongs to the best in terms of water flow, in its respective price range.
- The 157130's Cleaning Units, 15000 CU (PSI x GPM), fall into the lower end when compared to gas-powered devices of similar price. In case you are looking for the highest overall cleaning power, in this price range, one of the current champions is the Stihl RB 800 and its 16800 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14500 and 16000 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157130 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||General Pump Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||50 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157130 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.