The NorthStar 157160 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3000 PSI and flow of 5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157160
The NorthStar 157160, a heavy duty pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
Using a powerful 389 cc engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of up to 3000 PSI (roughly 50 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Together, the values result in a cleaning power of 15000 Cleaning Units.
The Honda GX390 engine of this gas-powered pressure washer gets started by a classic pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.6 gallon.
Design & Handling
The NorthStar 157160 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of L40.3 x W26 x H23.8 in. The robust steel tubing frame guarantees longevity of the assembly. The handle adds to the 157160 convenience of transport.
At 140 lbs, we can't really say that the unit is a lightweight, and manually lifting or transporting it could be a challenge. Its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, its two 10" never-flat wheels play an important part in its maneuvrability, as they allow for a smooth manipulation on the job.
The NorthStar 157160 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: A neat storage for the included 50 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose is facilitated by a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand.
- Nozzles: The 4 nozzles included with the device, and the respective surfaces which they’re the most suitable for, are shown in the following table.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the NorthStar 157160's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: The NorthStar 157160 comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get pressure hose, spray gun and wand.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157160 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. And so, this pressure washer is available for sale and purchase in any of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157160's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157160 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157160 and its 3000 PSI, ranks amongst gas-powered pressure washers with a comparably low pressure output, considering the units that cost between $1350 and $1600. If the highest possible power of the water stream is your priority, one of the champions in this price range is the Stihl RB 800 with 4200 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, the 5 GPM (gallons per minute) of this washer makes it one of the best performing units in terms of the delivered volume of water.
- Amongst similarly priced gas-powered devices, the 15000 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM) of the 157160 rank as low. If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the Stihl RB 800 with its 16800 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14500 and 16000 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157160 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 66DX Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||50 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157160 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.