The NorthStar 157160 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3000 PSI and flow of 5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 157160
The NorthStar 157160, a heavy duty pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
With a powerful 389 cc engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of 3000 PSI (roughly 50 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer), resulting in the NorthStar 157160's cleaning power of 15000 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX390 engine.
Gasoline is stored in a steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.6 gallon.
Design & Handling
The NorthStar 157160 is very mobile, due to its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of L40.3 x W26 x H23.8 in. The strong steel tubing frame assures assembly longevity. The handle adds to the 157160 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 140 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. Its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and steel tubing frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, the unit’s two 10" never-flat wheels are crucial to its maneuvrability, since they provide a smooth method of manipulation on the job.
Along with the NorthStar 157160 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 4 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The detergent will be added automatically to the water when a soap nozzle is attached.
- Pressure hose: The included 50 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The following table illustrates the 4 included nozzles, along with the surfaces which they are the most suitable for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the NorthStar 157160's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage), a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a low oil protection.
- Accessories: Included with the NorthStar 157160 are also the owner's manual and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as spray gun, pressure hose and wand.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 157160 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means that this pressure washer can be bought and sold in each of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 157160's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 157160 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The NorthStar 157160 with its 3000 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $1350-1700 price range. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the Lifan LFQ4515E-Elite that can reach up to 4500 PSI.
- In the aforementioned price range, the 5 GPM (gallons per minute) of this washer makes it one of the best performing units in terms of the delivered volume of water.
- The 157160 ranks as below average in terms of Cleaning Units, compared to gas-powered devices in its price range, reaching only a value of 15000 CU (PSI x GPM). When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the Lifan LFQ4515E-Elite and its 18000 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14700 and 15800 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 157160 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget pressure washer.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 66DX Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||50 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 40.3 x 26 x 23.8 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", never flat|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, 4 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 157160 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.