The NorthStar 15782020 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4000 PSI and flow of 3.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the NorthStar 15782020
In a nutshell, the NorthStar 15782020 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by an impressive 389 cc (11.7 hp) engine, its triplex pump can deliver a pressure of 4000 PSI (around 67 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Combined, these values mean that the NorthStar 15782020 has a cleaning power of 14000 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX390 engine.
A steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.6 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
The NorthStar 15782020 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of L34 x W21 x H38 in. Its sturdy steel frame provides longevity to the assembly. The adds to the 15782020 convenience of transport.
With a weight of 185 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. Its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and steel frame are mainly responsible for its heavy weight. However, its two 15" pneumatic wheels play an important part in its maneuvrability, as they allow for a smooth manipulation on the job.
The NorthStar 15782020's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The NorthStar 15782020 has an automatic soap dilution mechanism, which dilutes the detergent using a 15:1 ratio. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: A neat storage for the included 50 ft high-pressure hose is facilitated by a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: The included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand can be easily stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The table below shows you the 5 included nozzles, as well as the surfaces they're the most appropriate for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with NorthStar 15782020's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the NorthStar 15782020 comes with spray gun, soap hose, wand and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 15782020 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. And so, this pressure washer is available for sale and purchase in any of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 15782020's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 15782020 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- With its 4000 PSI max pressure output, the NorthStar 15782020 is in the expected pressure range, for gas-powered units in the $900-1000 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the DeWalt DXPW4440, which reaches up to 4400 PSI.
- When compared to devices in the above-mentioned price range, this washer and its 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute), is on the lower end of the achievable water flow. If rinsing away debris most efficiently is your priority, one of the devices with the highest GPM in this price range is the Predator 4400, which can reach up to 4.2 GPM.
- The 14000 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), of the 15782020 sit at an average, in reference to other gas-powered units of similar price. In case you are looking for the highest overall cleaning power, in this price range, one of the current champions is the Predator 4400 and its 18480 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 14000 and 14500 Cleaning Units, the NorthStar 15782020 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget pressure washer.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc 11.7 HP Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 66DX Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 34 x 21 x 38 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀15", pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 15782020 is covered under a warranty for up to 4 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.