The NorthStar 15782020 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4000 PSI and flow of 3.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
You might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (140°F max.)|
|Engine||389cc 11.7 HP Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 66DX Triplex|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 34 x 21 x 38 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀15", pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the NorthStar 15782020
In a nutshell, the NorthStar 15782020 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Using a powerful 389cc (11.7 hp) engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of up to 4000 PSI (roughly 67 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 3.5 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Together, the values result in a cleaning power of 14000 Cleaning Units.
The Honda GX390 engine of this gas-powered pressure washer relies on an old-school pull-start mechanism to get started.
Gasoline is stored in a steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.6 gallon.
Design & Handling
The NorthStar 15782020 offers superb mobility, with a hand truck design and approximate dimensions of L34 x W21 x H38 in. Its sturdy steel frame provides longevity to the assembly. The adds to the 15782020 convenience of transport.
The unit's weight of 185 lbs renders its carrying and transportation challenging, as it is far from lightweight. The major reasons for its heavy weight are its 389cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and steel frame. However, the unit’s two 15" pneumatic wheels are crucial to its maneuverability, since they provide a smooth method of manipulation on the job.
The NorthStar 15782020 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. The detergent is diluted with a 15:1 ratio by the NorthStar 15782020's automatic soap dilution mechanism. If a soap nozzle is attached, the device will proceed to add the detergent to the water automatically.
- Pressure hose: The included 50 ft high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The NorthStar 15782020 allows you to be always fully prepared, as it features a handy storage area, where nozzles and accessories can be stored.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the NorthStar 15782020 comes with wand, spray gun, soap hose and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The NorthStar 15782020 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, the sale and purchase of this pressure washer is permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The NorthStar 15782020's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the NorthStar 15782020 compared to similarly priced pressure washers.
This unit is now discontinued, but used to be sold around $1450.
- With its 4000 PSI max pressure output, the NorthStar 15782020 was in the expected pressure range, for gas-powered units in the $1250-1600 price range. If the highest possible power of the water stream is your priority, one of the champions in this price range is the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA with 4500 PSI.
- The achievable water flow of this washer, which reaches 3.5 GPM (gallons per minute) could be described as low, compared to other devices in its price range. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the Simpson ALH4240, with 4 GPM.
- With 14000 Cleaning Units (PSI X GPM), the 15782020 was on the low end when compared to other similarly priced gas-powered devices. In case you are looking for the highest overall cleaning power, in this price range, one of the current champions is the Lifan LFQ4515E-CA and its 18000 Cleaning Units.
The NorthStar brand of outdoor power equipment is owned and distributed by the Northern Tool company, which was founded in 1981 in Minnesota, USA. The brand includes log splitters, generators, pressure washers, and air compressors. Though many of the components are manufactured in Northern Tool’s factory in China, NorthStar pressure washers are engineered, assembled, and tested in America, and powered by Honda engines. They include hot water, cold water, and soft-wash systems, along with many accessories. NorthStar brand products make up a large percentage of Northern Tool's product line.
The NorthStar 15782020 is covered under a warranty for up to 4 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar pressure washers, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.