The Simpson Aluminum ALH3228-S is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3400 PSI and flow of 2.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Simpson ALH3228-S
In a nutshell, the Simpson ALH3228-S is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces or high reach areas
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- application of detergent and cleaning solutions
With a 196 cc (5.5 hp) engine, its triplex pump delivers a pressure of 3400 PSI (roughly 57 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.5 GPM (CETA-certified values), resulting in the Simpson ALH3228-S's cleaning power of 8500 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX200 engine.
A steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.8 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Simpson ALH3228-S grants mobility and stability to the unit. The aluminum frame allows the device to remain highly durable, as it will not rust. The reversible handle offers further versatility, as its different positions make the unit less bulky when stored.
The device can be maneuvered with ease by most, since it only weighs 74 lbs. Since the 196 cc Honda GX200 engine and triplex pump account for a large part of its weight, Simpson's utilization of an aluminum frame keeps the unit at a reasonable weight. Nethertheless, thanks to its two 10" pneumatic wheels, the ALH3228-S remains very easy to manipulate and maneuver.
Along with the Simpson ALH3228-S itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. The detergent is diluted with a 7:1 ratio by the Simpson ALH3228-S's automatic soap dilution mechanism. Whenever a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent is automatically added to the water.
- Pressure hose: The included 25 ft ⌀5/16" high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its steel wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Simpson ALH3228-S's handy storage area lets you store nozzles and accessories, and thus, you’ll be always prepared and have everything necessary for the job at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation), a low oil protection and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Included with the Simpson ALH3228-S are also the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as wand, soap hose, pressure hose, oil and spray gun.
- Emissions: The Simpson ALH3228-S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means that this pressure washer can be bought and sold in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Simpson ALH3228-S's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Simpson ALH3228-S compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- Reaching a 3400 PSI max pressure output, the Simpson ALH3228-S has an expected pressure value, compared to the other gas-powered units in the $600 to $700 price range. If you're going after the highest possible power of the water stream, one of the best in this price range is the Simpson PS60843 that can reach up to 4400 PSI.
- In comparison to other devices in the above-mentioned price range, this washer and its 2.5 GPM (gallons per minute), has one of the lower GPM values. In case you are looking for a device which can most efficiently rinse away debris in the current price range, the Simpson PS60843 has the highest GPM of 4.
- Amongst similarly priced gas-powered devices, the 8500 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM) of the ALH3228-S rank as low. In case you are looking for the highest overall cleaning power, in this price range, one of the current champions is the Simpson PS60843 and its 17600 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 8000 and 8500 Cleaning Units, the Simpson ALH3228-S is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc 5.5 HP Honda GX200 OHV 4-stroke|
|Pump||CAT 4DNX25GSI Triplex|
|Other model numbers||60735|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀5/16|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 30 x 21 x 24 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Simpson has over 50 years of experience making quality products for the outdoor power equipment industry. Part of the FNA Group based in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin since 2006, they are a vertically-integrated company, meaning most of the parts and accessories are manufactured and assembled by them. Their manufacturing facilities are international. With the company motto "Driven by Performance", Simpson continues to offer a great variety of pressure-washing systems for the homeowner or the professional contractor.
The Simpson ALH3228-S is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Simpson pressure washers, please contact the Simpson Customer Support: 1-877-362-4271.