The Simpson PowerShot PS3228-S is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3300 PSI and flow of 2.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196cc 5.5 HP Honda GX200 OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||60629|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀5/16|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 34 x 21 x 24 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the Simpson PS3228-S
In a nutshell, the Simpson PS3228-S is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Its power characteristics and design, its main features and all its additional features are presented ahead.
Powered by a 196 cc (5.5 hp) engine, its triplex pump can deliver a pressure of 3300 PSI (around 55 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.5 GPM (CETA-certified values). Combined, these values mean that the Simpson PS3228-S has a cleaning power of 8250 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX200 engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.8 gallon.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Simpson PS3228-S grants mobility and stability to the unit. The robust welded steel frame guarantees longevity of the assembly. The reversible handle offers further versatility, as its different positions make the unit less bulky when stored.
The unit's weight of 82 lbs renders its carrying and transportation challenging, as it is far from lightweight. Its 196 cc Honda GX200 engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame are mainly responsible for its heavy weight. However, the device’s two 10" pneumatic wheels play a key role in its maneuverability, as they allow it to be manipulated smoothly.
Along with the Simpson PS3228-S itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. The automatic soap dilution mechanism of the Simpson PS3228-S will dilute the detergent with a 7:1 ratio. When a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent will be added automatically to the water.
- Pressure hose: The 25 ft ⌀5/16" high-pressure hose, which is included with the device, can be stored neatly on the unit itself when idle, using a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook enables you to easily store the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its steel wand.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Simpson PS3228-S allows you to be always fully prepared, as it features a handy storage area, where nozzles and accessories can be stored.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage), a low oil protection and a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation).
- Accessories: The Simpson PS3228-S comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get soap hose, wand, oil, spray gun and pressure hose.
- Emissions: The Simpson PS3228-S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this pressure washer is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Simpson PS3228-S's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Simpson PS3228-S compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Simpson PS3228-S, with a max water pressure of 3300 PSI, has one of the higher PSI values of the gas-powered products in the $500-600 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Simpson ALH3425-S, which reaches up to 3600 PSI.
- This washer reaches 2.5 GPM (gallons per minute) and thus, has an average water flow compared to similarly priced devices. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the Lifan LFQ3370E, with 3 GPM.
- The 8250 Cleaning Units (PSI X GPM), of the PS3228-S sit at an average, in reference to other gas-powered units of similar price. If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the Lifan LFQ3370E with its 9900 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 8000 and 8500 Cleaning Units, the Simpson PS3228-S is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Triplex pump
- Honda engine
- Designed to be stable
- Good range of nozzles included
- Automatic detergent dilution
- Onboard storage
- Several security features
- 10 year (limited) warranty
- High PSI for the price
- Decent GPM for the price
- Decent CU for the price
- No soap tank
Simpson has over 50 years of experience making quality products for the outdoor power equipment industry. Part of the FNA Group based in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin since 2006, they are a vertically-integrated company, meaning most of the parts and accessories are manufactured and assembled by them. Their manufacturing facilities are international, but their gas-powered pressure washers are made in the USA. With the company motto "Driven by Performance", Simpson continues to offer a great variety of pressure-washing systems for the homeowner or the professional contractor.
The Simpson PS3228-S is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Simpson pressure washers, please contact the Simpson Customer Support: 1-877-362-4271.