The Simpson PowerShot PS3228-S is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 3300 PSI and flow of 2.5 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Simpson PS3228-S
The Simpson PS3228-S, a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, gives its user an all-around versatile cleaning experience, topped off by the following features:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- applying detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by a 196 cc (5.5 hp) engine, its triplex pump can deliver a pressure of 3300 PSI (around 55 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.5 GPM (CETA-certified values). Combined, these values mean that the Simpson PS3228-S has a cleaning power of 8250 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX200 engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel is stored in a steel tank, which can hold up to 0.8 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Simpson PS3228-S grants mobility and stability to the unit. The robust welded steel frame guarantees longevity of the assembly. The reversible handle offers further versatility, as its different positions make the unit less bulky when stored.
With a weight of 82 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. Its 196 cc Honda GX200 engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame add up to a large chunk of the device's weight. However, its two 10" pneumatic wheels play an important part in its maneuvrability, as they allow for a smooth manipulation on the job.
The Simpson PS3228-S comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: While the device doesn't feature a soap tank, detergent supply is ensured by a siphon hose. The Simpson PS3228-S has an automatic soap dilution mechanism, which dilutes the detergent using a 7:1 ratio. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: The 25 ft ⌀5/16" high-pressure hose, which is included with the device, can be stored neatly on the unit itself when idle, using a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: Both the classic ergonomic spray gun and its steel wand may be conveniently stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Simpson PS3228-S's handy storage area lets you store nozzles and accessories, and thus, you’ll be always prepared and have everything necessary for the job at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage), a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a low oil protection.
- Accessories: On top of an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and the usual documentation to get you swiftly started, the Simpson PS3228-S also comes with spray gun, pressure hose, wand, soap hose and oil.
- Emissions: The Simpson PS3228-S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, the sale and purchase of this pressure washer is permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Simpson PS3228-S's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Simpson PS3228-S compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Simpson PS3228-S, with a maximum pressure output of 3300 PSI, has an average pressure output, when considering gas-powered units in $475 to $625 price range. In case you are looking for a device with the highest possible power of its water stream, one of the top achievers in this price range is the A-iPower APW4200 with a PSI of 4200.
- This washer, with a GPM of 2.5 (gallons per minute) has a somewhat lower water flows value compared to devices in its price range. If rinsing away debris most efficiently is your priority, one of the devices with the highest GPM in this price range is the A-iPower APW4200, which can reach up to 4 GPM.
- As the PS3228-S has a total of 8250 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM), it finds itself in the average cleaning efficiency range for similarly priced gas-powered units. When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the A-iPower APW4200 and its 16800 Cleaning Units.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 8000 and 8500 Cleaning Units, the Simpson PS3228-S is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc 5.5 HP Honda GX200 OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||60629|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||25 ft, ⌀5/16|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 34 x 21 x 24 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀10", pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Simpson has over 50 years of experience making quality products for the outdoor power equipment industry. Part of the FNA Group based in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin since 2006, they are a vertically-integrated company, meaning most of the parts and accessories are manufactured and assembled by them. Their manufacturing facilities are international. With the company motto "Driven by Performance", Simpson continues to offer a great variety of pressure-washing systems for the homeowner or the professional contractor.
The Simpson PS3228-S is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Simpson pressure washers, please contact the Simpson Customer Support: 1-877-362-4271.