The Simpson PowerShot PS4240 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 4200 PSI and flow of 4 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Simpson PS4240
The Simpson PS4240 is a heavy duty, commercial pressure washer, that provides its users with an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and enables:
- spot cleaning of hard, paintless surfaces and reaching far-away areas
- intense cleaning of tough, paintless surfaces
- cleaning of painted and frail surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by a powerful 389 cc (11.7 hp) engine, its triplex pump can deliver a pressure of 4200 PSI (around 70 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 4 GPM (CETA-certified values). Combined, these values mean that the Simpson PS4240 has a cleaning power of 16800 Cleaning Units.
This gas-powered pressure washer’s Honda GX390 engine is started by a traditional pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a steel fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 1.6 gallon.
Design & Handling
The wheelbarrow design of the Simpson PS4240 grants mobility and stability to the unit. The strong welded steel frame assures assembly longevity. The handle adds to the PS4240 convenience of transport.
This model weighs 136 lbs. For this reason, it cannot be called lightweight and thus, carrying and transporting it might be somewhat challenging. Its 389 cc Honda GX390 engine, the triplex pump and welded steel frame are mainly responsible for its heavy weight. However, its two 13" pneumatic wheels play an important part in its maneuvrability, as they allow for a smooth manipulation on the job.
The Simpson PS4240 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. If a soap nozzle is attached, the device will proceed to add the detergent to the water automatically.
- Pressure hose: Using a set of convenient hooks, the included 50 ft ⌀3/8" high-pressure hose can be easily stored on the unit when it is not running.
- Spray gun and wand: A side hook allows for an easy storage of the included classic ergonomic spray gun and its steel wand.
- Nozzles: The following table illustrates the 5 included nozzles, along with the surfaces which they are the most suitable for.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Simpson PS4240 features a handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store nozzles and accessories and be always prepared by having everything needed at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation), a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a low oil protection.
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the Simpson PS4240 comes with wand, soap hose, pressure hose, spray gun and oil.
- Emissions: The Simpson PS4240 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this pressure washer is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Simpson PS4240's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Simpson PS4240 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Simpson PS4240, reaching a PSI of up to 4200, is one of the more powerful gas-powered units in $900-1000 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the DeWalt DXPW4440, which reaches up to 4400 PSI.
- Considering the above-mentioned price range, this washer's maximum water flow of 4 GPM (gallons per minute) is higher than the average. In case you are looking for a device which can most efficiently rinse away debris in the current price range, the Predator 4400 has the highest GPM of 4.2.
- The PS4240, which reaches up to 16800 Cleaning Units (PSI x GPM) is one of the more efficient, in comparison to its similarly priced counterparts. If the highest overall cleaning power is your top priority, the Predator 4400, which can reach up to 18480 Cleaning Units, is one of the most efficient of the devices in the current price range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 16500 and 17000 Cleaning Units, the Simpson PS4240 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this pressure washer nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of cleaning power.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (100°F max.)|
|Engine||389 cc 11.7 HP Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Other model numbers||60456|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
|Hose||50 ft, ⌀3/8|
(L x W x H)
|Approx. 38 x 23.5 x 29 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, ⌀13", pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, steel wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Simpson has over 50 years of experience making quality products for the outdoor power equipment industry. Part of the FNA Group based in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin since 2006, they are a vertically-integrated company, meaning most of the parts and accessories are manufactured and assembled by them. Their manufacturing facilities are international. With the company motto "Driven by Performance", Simpson continues to offer a great variety of pressure-washing systems for the homeowner or the professional contractor.
The Simpson PS4240 is covered under a warranty for up to 10 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Simpson pressure washers, please contact the Simpson Customer Support: 1-877-362-4271.