The Stihl DIRT BOSS® RB 400 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2700 PSI and flow of 2.7 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (125°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc 6.5 HP Kohler SH265 4-stroke OHV|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 28.5 x 27.5 x 39.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the Stihl RB 400
The Stihl RB 400 is a medium duty pressure washer, that provides its users with an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and enables:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces and high-reach cleaning
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
Powered by a 196 cc (6.5 hp) engine, its axial pump can deliver a pressure of 2700 PSI (around 45 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.7 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). Combined, these values mean that the Stihl RB 400 has a cleaning power of 7290 Cleaning Units.
The Kohler SH265 engine of this gas-powered pressure washer gets started by a classic pull-start mechanism.
Gasoline storage is facilitated by a fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.95 gallon.
Design & Handling
The Stihl RB 400 is very mobile, due to its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D28.5 x W27.5 x H39.5 in. Its sturdy steel tubing frame provides longevity to the assembly. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
At 90 lbs, we can't really say that the unit is a lightweight, and manually lifting or transporting it could be a challenge. The main contributors to its weight are its 196 cc Kohler SH265 engine and steel tubing frame. However, the unit is mobile thanks to its two pneumatic wheels, which add to its movability and allow it to be manipulated smoothly on the job.
The Stihl RB 400 comes with a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are detailed below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. However, since the Stihl RB 400 does not feature a soap dilution mechanism, you'll have to make sure your detergent is correctly diluted before use. The detergent is automatically added to the water when a soap nozzle is connected.
- Pressure hose: A neat storage for the included 25 ft high-pressure hose is facilitated by a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: The included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand can be easily stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 5 included nozzles, and the respective surfaces they’re appropriate for, are listed in the table below.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: With the Stihl RB 400's handy storage area, you’ll always have all the necessary nozzles and accessories at hand and thus, you’ll be fully prepared for any job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation), a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage) and a low oil protection.
- Accessories: The Stihl RB 400 comes with an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you quickly started. On top of that, you also get spray gun, pressure hose, wand, soap hose and oil.
The Stihl RB 400's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Stihl RB 400 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Stihl RB 400, which can achieve a PSI of up to 2700, falls behind the other gas-powered pressure washers in the $600 to $700 price range. In case you are looking for a device with the highest possible power of its water stream, one of the top achievers in this price range is the A-iPower PWF4200SH with a PSI of 4200.
- In its respective price range, the water flow of this washer, 2.7 GPM (gallons per minute), ranks as average. If being able to rinse away debris as efficiently as possible is your priority, one of the products with the highest GPM in this price range is the A-iPower PWF4200SH, with 4 GPM.
- The RB 400 has 7290 Cleaning Units (PSI X GPM), which can be considered low in comparison to other gas-powered devices of this price. If you are after the highest overall cleaning power, the A-iPower PWF4200SH with its 16800 Cleaning Units is one of the products that can achieve the highest cleaning efficiency in this price range.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 7000 and 7500 Cleaning Units, the Stihl RB 400 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Since revolutionizing the forestry industry in 1926 with the invention of the first two-person electric chainsaw, STIHL has become one of the top-selling brands of outdoor power equipment in the US and around the world. Their ever-growing product line includes gas-powered, corded-electric and battery products. Made in the USA and in China by over 2,000 dedicated employees at their state-of-the-art, dedicated, manufacturing facilities in Virginia Beach, VA, and in Qingdao, STIHL products are sold by local, authorized dealers in over 80 countries.
The Stihl RB 400 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl pressure washers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.