The Stihl DIRT BOSS® RB 400 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2700 PSI and flow of 2.7 GPM. (Read full specs)
Zoom on the Stihl RB 400
The Stihl RB 400 is a medium duty pressure washer, that provides its users with an all-around versatile cleaning experience, and enables:
- spot cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces and out-of-reach areas
- thorough cleaning of hard, paint-free surfaces
- cleaning of painted or delicate surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
The Stihl RB 400's axial pump, powered by a 196 cc (6.5 hp) engine, can provide a pressure of up to 2700 PSI (approximately 45 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.7 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). The Stihl RB 400 thus has a cleaning power of 7290 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Kohler SH265 engine.
The fuel is stored in a tank, which can hold up to 0.95 gallon of gasoline.
Design & Handling
Thanks to its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D28.5 x W27.5 x H39.5 in, the Stihl RB 400 offers great mobility. The strong steel tubing frame assures assembly longevity. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
With a weight of 90 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. A key role in its final weight is played by its 196 cc Kohler SH265 engine and steel tubing frame. However, the unit’s two pneumatic wheels are crucial to its maneuvrability, since they provide a smooth method of manipulation on the job.
Along with the Stihl RB 400 itself, the package also includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, which are discussed in further detail below.
- Soap injection: Detergent is fed in through a siphon hose, since the device lacks a soap tank. As the Stihl RB 400 doesn’t include a soap dilution mechanism, the user must provide a correctly diluted detergent before proceeding to use it. If a soap nozzle is attached, the device will proceed to add the detergent to the water automatically.
- Pressure hose: The 25 ft high-pressure hose, which is included with the device, can be stored neatly on the unit itself when idle, using a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: The included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand can be easily stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 5 nozzles included with the device, and the respective surfaces which they’re the most suitable for, are shown in the following table.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: Stay prepared for any job with Stihl RB 400's handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store any nozzles and accessories which you may need for the job.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a low oil protection, a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage).
- Accessories: Included with the Stihl RB 400 are also the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and some basic documentation to get you promptly started, along with several accessories, such as pressure hose, oil, soap hose, wand and spray gun.
The Stihl RB 400's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Stihl RB 400 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Stihl RB 400 and its 2700 PSI, ranks amongst gas-powered pressure washers with a comparably low pressure output, considering the units that cost between $600 and $700. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Simpson PS60843, which reaches up to 4400 PSI.
- This washer reaches 2.7 GPM (gallons per minute) and thus, has an average water flow compared to similarly priced devices. In case you are looking for a device which can most efficiently rinse away debris in the current price range, the Simpson PS60843 has the highest GPM of 4.
- The RB 400 ranks as below average in terms of Cleaning Units, compared to gas-powered devices in its price range, reaching only a value of 7290 CU (PSI x GPM). When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the Simpson PS60843 and its 17600 Cleaning Units.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 7000 and 7500 Cleaning Units, the Stihl RB 400 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (125°F max.)|
|Engine||196 cc 6.5 HP Kohler SH265 4-stroke OHV|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 28.5 x 27.5 x 39.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Since revolutionizing the forestry industry in 1926 with the invention of the first two-person electric chainsaw, STIHL has become one of the top-selling brands of outdoor power equipment in the US and around the world. Their ever-growing product line includes gas-powered, corded-electric and battery products. Made in the USA and in China by over 2,000 dedicated employees at their state-of-the-art, dedicated, manufacturing facilities in Virginia Beach, VA, and in Qingdao, STIHL products are sold by local, authorized dealers in over 80 countries.
The Stihl RB 400 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl pressure washers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.