The Stihl DIRT BOSS® RB 400 is a gas-powered pressure washer offering a maximum water pressure of 2700 PSI and flow of 2.7 GPM. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Water||Cold (125°F max.)|
|Engine||196cc 6.5 HP Kohler SH265 4-stroke OHV|
|Soap injection||Via siphon hose|
|Nozzles||0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, Soap|
|Quick connect nozzles||Yes|
(D x W x H)
|Approx. 28.5 x 27.5 x 39.5 in|
|Wheels||2 wheels, pneumatic|
|Included accessories||Oil, wand, spray gun, high pressure hose, soap hose, 5 nozzles|
|Security||Low oil, trigger lock and thermal relief valve|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Zoom on the Stihl RB 400
In a nutshell, the Stihl RB 400 is a medium duty pressure washer, which not only offers an all-around versatile cleaning experience, but that also allows:
- spot cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces or high reach areas
- intense cleaning of hard, unpainted surfaces
- cleaning of painted and fragile surfaces
- use of detergent and cleaning solutions
The Stihl RB 400's axial pump, powered by a 196cc (6.5 hp) engine, can provide a pressure of up to 2700 PSI (approximately 45 times more than a standard garden hose) and a flow of up to 2.7 GPM (values claimed by the manufacturer). The Stihl RB 400 thus has a cleaning power of 7290 Cleaning Units.
A classic pull-start mechanism is responsible for starting the gas-powered pressure washer’s Kohler SH265 engine.
A fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 0.95 gallon is used to store gasoline.
Design & Handling
With its hand truck design and approximate dimensions of D28.5 x W27.5 x H39.5 in, the Stihl RB 400 provides great mobility. The robust and sturdy steel tubing frame offers longevity to the assembly. The folding handle enhances its mobility, while allowing for a convenient storage.
With a weight of 90 lbs, the model is not lightweight. Therefore, it may be challenging to manually carry it around and transport it. The main contributors to its weight are its 196cc Kohler SH265 engine and steel tubing frame. However, the unit is mobile thanks to its two pneumatic wheels, which add to its movability and allow it to be manipulated smoothly on the job.
The Stihl RB 400's package includes a spray gun, a wand, a pressure hose, 5 nozzles and a detergent injection feature, with a more detailed description below.
- Soap injection: Even though the device doesn't have a soap tank, detergent is supplied by a siphon hose. It must be noted that the Stihl RB 400 doesn’t come with a soap dilution mechanism. Therefore, you must always make sure that your detergent is correctly diluted. Whenever a soap nozzle is connected, the detergent is automatically added to the water.
- Pressure hose: The included 25 ft high-pressure hose can be neatly stored on the unit when idle thanks to a set of convenient hooks.
- Spray gun and wand: The included classic ergonomic spray gun and its wand can be easily stored in a side hook.
- Nozzles: The 5 nozzles included with the device, and the respective surfaces which they’re the most suitable for, are shown in the following table.
|Concrete, brick, masonry||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable||Suitable|
|Siding, gutters, house||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Fencing, deck, patio||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable||Suitable|
|Lawn equipment, boat, RV||Not recommended||Use with caution||Use with caution||Use with caution||Suitable|
Note: The shape of the nozzles above is for illustration purposes only and may differ.
Red cross: Not recommended. Green check: Suitable. Orange check: Use with caution.
- Onboard storage: The Stihl RB 400 features a handy storage area, which allows you to neatly store nozzles and accessories and be always prepared by having everything needed at hand.
- Safety: Safety of operation is enhanced by a thermal relief valve (which helps to prevent internal pump damage), a trigger lock mechanism (which prevents accidental operation) and a low oil protection.
- Accessories: Besides the usual owner's manual (opens in a new tab) and documentation to get you promptly started, the Stihl RB 400 comes with wand, soap hose, pressure hose, spray gun and oil.
The Stihl RB 400's performance versus other pressure washers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how the key specs of the Stihl RB 400 compare to similarly priced pressure washers.
- The Stihl RB 400 with its 2700 PSI achieves a lower pressure value, compared to other gas-powered pressure washers in the $800-900 price range. If your priority is the highest possible power of the water stream, in this price range, we suggest checking out the Simpson PS60843, which reaches up to 4400 PSI.
- When compared to devices in the above-mentioned price range, this washer and its 2.7 GPM (gallons per minute), is on the lower end of the achievable water flow. If rinsing away debris most efficiently is your priority, one of the devices with the highest GPM in this price range is the Westinghouse WPX4400, which can reach up to 4.2 GPM.
- The RB 400's Cleaning Units, 7290 CU (PSI X GPM), fall into the lower end when compared to gas-powered devices of similar price. When it comes to the highest overall cleaning power in the current price range, one of the products at the very top currently is the Westinghouse WPX4400 and its 18480 Cleaning Units.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas-powered washers between 7000 and 7500 Cleaning Units, the Stihl RB 400 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its cleaning power range, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Since revolutionizing the forestry industry in 1926 with the invention of the first two-person electric chainsaw, STIHL has become one of the top-selling brands of outdoor power equipment in the US and around the world. Their ever-growing product line includes gas-powered, corded-electric and battery products. Made in the USA and in China by over 2,000 dedicated employees at their state-of-the-art, dedicated, manufacturing facilities in Virginia Beach, VA, and in Qingdao, STIHL products are sold by local, authorized dealers in over 80 countries.
The Stihl RB 400 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the unit.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl pressure washers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.